I have shared the possible use of tracker for spectroscopy in my previous posting.
Lessons that took place before this activity
- observed the emission spectrum of elements such as sodium, neon, mercury, kryption, etc. although they do not have hands-on experience of setting up and adjusting the apparatus.
- gone through the theory and tutorial on the section of spectral lines.
Below is the worksheet that students will attempt.
Disadvantages of hands-on approach
- Experiments on spectral lines are time consuming due to the difficulty in setting up and calibrating the spectrometer.
- The other big challenge is the availability of a suitably dark room to observe the emission spectrum of discharge tubes.
- The availability of sufficient apparatus for experiments.
Advantages of using Tracker
- Easy to deploy.
- Easy to operate to obtain quality results for comparison and analysis because students can now focus on the actual physics rather than on the setting up of the experiment.