My professional life
Hi I am Lee Tat Leong. Welcome to my blog.
I am first and foremost a high school Physics teacher, with 10 years of teaching experience, preparing my students for Singapore-Cambridge A-level. I have been using technology for learning since 2004, starting with proprietary simulation software, such as interactive physics, and shifting gradually towards open source tools (Tracker and Easy Java Simulations) and tools for open learning (google docs, etc). As an ICT mentor since 2010, I am doing my best to spread the integration of ICT in Physics.
For the past three years, I am also the Head of Department for Education Technology. Over the last three years, through observations and on-the-job experience, I have learnt that getting teachers on the ICT bandwagon involves some urging, helping and sometimes forcing. For the past year or so, professional development in ICT becomes an important aspect of my job.
Current research and innovation focus
In the past year or so I am also working with a team of Physics teachers on the use of video capturing and student reflective annotation to foster critical thinking skill in scientific problem-solving.
In 2012, I hope to integrate more use of open-source tools and adopt the flipped classroom approach for my lesson. Planning is still preliminary.
Sharing at seminars and conferences
Over the past five years, I had great opportunities to present and exchange my experiences with fellow like-minded educators on Physics education and the incorporation of ICT in Physics and beyond. This includes international conferences such as Raffles International Conference on Education 2008, Redesigning Pedagogy (2011). Local nationwide seminars/conferences such as Physics Instructional Programme Support Group (2009, 2011), Edutech (2010, 2011), National ICT sharing (2011), etc.
- ICTLT 29 to 30 March 2012 (ICTLT_booklet) – Sharing of Tracker Video Analysis and Modelling Tool
- CPDD Sharing 14 March 2012
Conference/Research papers bearing my name
- Video Analysis and Modeling Tool for Physics Education: A workshop for Redesigning Pedagogy – arXiv.org 01/07/2012 (here)
- Using Tracker as a Pedagogical Tool for Understanding Projectile Motion – Physics Education, Volume 47, Issue 4, July 2012 (here)
- Using Tracker as a Pedagogical Tool for Understanding Projectile Motion – arXiv.org 27/06/2012 (here)
- VIDEO ANALYSIS AND MODELING TOOL FOR PHYSICS EDUCATION: A WORKSHOP FOR REDESIGNING PEDAGOGY – Redesigning Pedagogy 2011 (here)
- Entropy production and destruction in models of material evaporation – Journal of Physics D, Issue 34, 2001 (here)
My personal life
With my wife, secondary school English teacher, we have a daughter and son (Primary school and kindergarten respectively). I am also interested in how ICT can be an integral part of their life since it is unavoidable given the easily available technology. In fact they are more accustomed to using iPads/iPhones than the Mac Mini I am typing on currently. The question is then how, as a parent, I can help them to use the technology meaningfully.
My Educational Philosophy